Using a lawn mower to maintain the cleanliness of your garden or lawn is a must because it's through this that you're able to cut and trim down the grass. But what kind of lawn mower should you use? Well, we're going to talk about riding lawn mowers in this article. We're also going to help you choose the best riding lawn mower for hills. For sure, you'll get the best one for yourself.
Things To Check If A Riding Lawn Mower Is Worth The Buy
The first thing you need to consider when choosing a riding lawn mower is its speed. This is because there are times when you need to be fast or to slow down. If you’re going to work on a large lawn where there are few obstructions, then it’s best you get a riding lawn mower that can go at fast speeds. But if there are a lot of obstructions in your yard, you need to be more precise when it comes to mowing, which is why you need a slower riding lawn mower.
2. Cutting Path
Every riding lawn mower has its own respective mower deck width. The wider the mower deck is, the more coverage area you can trim in a single pass. If you’re going to work on an area that is about 1 to 3 acres, it’s best if you use a riding lawn mower that is 30 to 48 inches in width. On the other hand, get a riding lawn mower that has a 50 to 60-inch width if you’re going to work on a 3-acre yard.
You also need to take into consideration the power of your riding lawn mower of choice. It should be able to easily drive through different surfaces, such as hills, ponds, or even through fences. It is best if you choose one that has a front and rear-drive, and zero turn mower feature.
4. Engine Features
When it comes to the features you need to consider, the first ones you need to take into account are the ones in its engine. Prefer buying a riding lawn mower that has its cooling system and oil filtering system. These are vital in ensuring that your mower will last for ages.
5. Maintenance Features
Riding lawn mowers are just like vehicles because they also need to undergo regular checkups and maintenance. These are prone to getting clogged up engines due to the dust, dirt, and grime that might accumulate due to its constant mowing. It's highly recommended that your riding lawn mower should have an advanced debris management system, so you don't have to spend money on its maintenance and tune-ups regularly.
How A Riding Lawn Mower Makes Mowing Easier?
1. Faster Mowing
There are a lot of ways that using a riding lawn mower can make your mowing easier. However, one of the best reasons is that it increases your working speed. This is because of the automated mowing system these lawn mowers have. There are even times that your working time can be cut to half or three folds when you’re using riding lawn mowers.
If you have your riding lawn mower, you don't need to contact or avail the service of professional gardeners or mowers. You have the equipment, the skill, and the capability to go on with your lawn mowing task. This will also help you save money.
What's great about riding lawn mower is that they are multipurpose vehicles. They are not just made for merely mowing, but they can also be used as snow plows or small trailer carriers if you need to.
Top 5 Best Riding Lawn Mowers For Hills 2018
1. Snapper SPX 22/46 46-Inch 22 HP Riding Tractor Mower
The Snapper SPX 22/46 46-Inch 22 HP Riding Tractor Mower is powered by a V-twin 22 horsepower engine. It has a 46-inch wide mower deck that is made of high quality steel. This perfectly matches its 4 anti-scalp wheels and three ultra-sharp blades. This one has a 14-inch turning radius and an electric blade engagement that reduces the tendency of it having stuck up grass.
- This one makes your mowing easier and more comfortable because it works very fast.
- It has a lot of great safety features. You don’t have to worry about injuries or accidentally cutting yourself because those won’t happen.
- You need to regularly grease the pinion and sector gear to make it work properly.
- If you don’t give it a regular tune up or maintenance, there’s a big probability that the steering will be damaged.
2. Troy-Bilt TB42 420cc Auto Drive 7-Speed Riding Lawn Tractor
The Troy-Bilt TB42 420cc Auto Drive 7-Speed Riding Lawn Tractor is another is powered by a 420cc engine. It has a 7-speed transmission and an automatic foot pedal. Its mowing deck measures 42 inches that perfectly matches its 13-gauge steel Step Thru frame. You have five deck height adjustments to choose from. Its front wheels measure 15 x 6 inches while its rear wheels are 20 x 8 inches in size.
- Its large tires are very helpful in improving its maneuverability
- It gives you a comfortable ride. You won’t be stressed up even if you’re riding it for a while
- There is no mulching kit included.
- Thought it’s generally comfortable to ride on, it’s not that easy to maneuver. It’s steering wheel is hard to turn.
3. Swisher ZTR2454BS Response 24HP 54-Inch B&S ZTR Mower
The Swisher ZTR2454BS Response 24HP 54-Inch B&S ZTR Mower is powered by a 24 horsepower Briggs & Stratton engine. It has a very wide cutting deck that measures 54 inches that perfectly goes hand in hand with the 3 Gator mulching blades. It can go as fast as 8 MPH whether it be on forward or on reverse.
- This riding lawn mower is very easy to operate because it has great maneuvering features.
- It’s also light, making it a fuel efficient mowing vehicle.
- The seats are comfortable because of its soft padding cushion.
- It’s not the best when it comes to durability.
- Its front wheels are too small. It’s because of this that you might experience bouncing off when you pass through rocky surfaces.
4. Poulan Pro 960420181 Lever Riding Tractor Mower
Then there’s the Poulan Pro 960420181 Lever Riding Tractor Mower. This is powered by a 155 horsepower Briggs & Stratton single cylinder overhead valve engine. It features a 6 speed transmission that gives you the liberty to choose your speed. Its mowing deck measures 42 inches. What makes this riding lawn mower stand out is the way it is designed. It features a very robust and solid body that makes it capable of getting a lot of beating. Its seat is also padded with soft cushion that assures your comfort. You also have 6 cutting options to choose from.
- It has a very nice design that not only looks attractive but also makes it durable and robust.
- It’s very reliable in mowing grass whether the area that you’re going to cover is large or small.
- This one has the best seat in the list as it is very soft and comfortable to sit on for long periods of time.
- The price of this riding lawn mower is a bit too high. However, it is justified by its durability and efficiency.
- This consumes a lot of gas. You’ll spend a lot of money in refueling it.
5. Husqvarna 967271501 Briggs and Stratton Zero Turn Lawn Mower
There is also the Husqvarna 967271501 Briggs and Stratton Zero Turn Lawn Mower which has a 46 inch mowing deck. Its special zero turn feature also makes this a one-of-a-kind riding lawn mower because of its ease in driving. It has its own deck lift system that is supported by a by a spring device to make it easy to use. Its cutting deck is made from stamped steel and is further reinforced by a heavy flat-stock steel.
- It’s comfortable to ride on because of the soft seat.
- It’s fuel efficient because of its simple and lightweight design.
- Its wheels are too small. It’s because of this that you’ll feel uncomfortable when you’re driving through a rocky surface.
- There’s a likelihood that you might stumble over if you go too fast and you hit a rocky patch of soil.
Out of the five reviewed products, the one that managed to emerge as the best riding lawn mower is the Poulan Pro 960420181 Lever Riding Tractor Mower. This is a very efficient machine vehicle, has a durable and sturdy design, is very comfortable to ride on, and is easily maneuverable. You won’t have any problem riding these on rocky surfaces. If you want to make your lawn mowing task easier, then this is what you need.