When it comes to gardening or planting, the first thing that comes to our mind is the soil where we’ll be planting our plants on. In this article, we’re going to help you choose the best potting soil to ensure that your plant will stay healthy and grow properly in its best form.
Potting Soil Buying Guide
The first thing you need to consider when it comes to choosing the best potting soil is the nutrients it has. This is very important because this is what determines the health of your plant. When choosing, make sure that you check its contents and its nutritional value. It’s through this that you know if the potting soil contains the right amount of nutrients and vitamins needed by your plant to grow properly.
2. Moisture Retention
It’s also important to consider the soil’s moisture retention capabilities. The soil should not easily dry up because that means that your plant will always be short of water. Remember that plants need a lot of water to grow properly and to have the bright greenish color on its leaves. However, it’s also important that the soil has good draining capabilities so that mold infestation or rotting wouldn’t happen.
Make sure that the texture of your soil is light, fine, and a little bit fluffy. You need to see to it that air can easily enter and flow through the interior of your soil. This is because the roots of your plant need to be constantly oxygenated so that it can properly absorb the nutrients from the soil. It should also be compact so that it wouldn’t be eroded easily.
4. The Correlation Between Weight and Quality
When it comes to choosing the best potting soil, you need to understand the correlation between weight and quality. It doesn’t mean that if your potting soil is heavy, it automatically means that it’s of better quality than the lighter ones. This is because it might be that it’s heavy because it is too wet or it might contain a lot of sand. To avoid this from happening, it’s best if you do a personal test on the soil using your bare hands.
The Different Types Of Potting Soil
1. Commercial Potting Soil
Commercial potting soil is the most common and popular type of potting soil because these are scientifically designed to reduce the chances of plant disease transmissions. However, the only downside to this kind of potting soil is that they are more expensive than the others.
2. Potting Soil Basics
These potting soil basics are the kind of potting soils that don't contain any real soil. They are merely mixtures of different kinds of components. Most potting soil basics are a combination of sand, perlite, peat moss, compost bark, and mushrooms.
3. Homemade Potting Soil
Who says making your potting soil is difficult? Well, in fact, it's not because these are simple to make. You just need to bake the compost with water and expose it to the sun's heat. You then add fertilizers, compost, and manure to make the mixture more nutritious for your plant. Not only does it assure you that it's all natural and fully organic, but you'll also save a lot of money because you don't have to buy those expensive and branded soil products in the market.
Top 5 Best Potting Soil
1. Black Gold All Organic Potting Soil
The Black Gold All Organic Potting Soil contains a rich and loamy mix of soil. It has also been added with perlite and pumice to ensure that it will grow properly. If you want something to hang on your patio containers, hanging baskets, vegetable planting or anywhere you wish, then this might be the perfect one for you. It weighs 6.9 pounds which is surely enough to accommodate a lot of plants.
- It has a nice texture thanks to its loamy mix. It’s fine, but at the same time, is also a bit layered. This makes it easier for air to oxygenate the plant’s roots.
- It doesn’t give off any bad smell. It smells fresh.
- The fresh smell of the soil might be pleasant but it invites a lot of bugs.
- The soil is also a bit soggy during its first few days.
2. Michigan Peat Baccto Premium Potting Soil
The Michigan Peat Baccto Premium Potting Soil is the best one when it comes to nutritional value because it’s packed with a lot of fertilizers. This one is a Baccto premium potting soil that contains starter and slow release fertilizers. It also has a mix of perlite, dark reed sedge peat, and sand. You can instantly use this right out of the bag. If you want to ensure that the plants in your containers or garden beds stay healthy, this you might want to check this out.
- It’s a loamy soil which is why it’s perfect for plant life. The soil’s texture has good water retention properties.
- It’s a very rich and nutritious soil because of its abundant mix of fertilizers.
- You might be short of potting soil.
- The texture of the potting soil can easily be eroded which is why it can easily cover the twigs.
3. Miracle-Gro Seed Starting Potting Mix
The Miracle-Gro Seed Starting Potting Mix is another highly recommended product because it is specifically designed to administer fast roots development. This one also contains Miracle Gro plant food that assures you it will be nutritious for your plant. If you’re still starting working on plant cuttings, then this is what you need. This potting soil mix weighs 5.6 pounds.
- Its components are properly mixed. There are no uneven mixtures, giving it a very smooth and fine texture.
- The soil mix has great water retention properties. It doesn’t dry up quickly.
- This potting soil contains a lot of inorganic matter such as giant roots. There are even traces of plastic pieces.
- The texture is too course, making it a bit hard for your
4. Miracle-Gro Potting Mix 8 QT MGRO Potting Mix
The Miracle-Gro Potting Mix 8 QT MGRO Potting Mix is what you need if you want a potting soil that will perfectly do well for your indoor and outdoor plants. This is the perfect product if you’re going to place it on a container because its texture and components are specifically designed for that. It has been scientifically tested to make your plants grow twice as big compared to other plants planted on a different kind of soil.
- This potting soil mix contains a lot of nutrients, making your plant grow to its best form.
- It’s rich with natural fertilizers enabling your plants to grow twice as big.
- The soil’s texture can easily retain water and drain it as well. Molds and rots are less likely to happen when you’re using this potting soil for your plant.
- The product is not properly mixed. There are some places where there are too much fertilizers and compost.
- The product’s quality is not constantly distributed throughout the package. You need to shake it up before using it.
5. Window Garden Fiber Organic Potting Soil
The Window Garden Fiber Organic Potting Soil is made of natural fibers that nourish the plant’s further growth. This assures you that your plant’s roots will absorb the right mix of oxygen, water, and nutrients. If you want to make your plants live longer, this is also your perfect choice because of the abundant oxygen that flows through the roots, thanks to its fiber composition. There is no peat in this potting soil, making this environment friendly and purely organic. It measures 7 x 7 x 1.5 inches but expands further when water is poured into it. Plus you also get hydrating bag that you can use to store unused fiber soil.
- This potting soil has great quality, because of its texture, water retention, andoxygen-enhancing properties.
- There are no synthetic or manmade fillers present in the soil mix, making this fully natural and organic.
- The look of the product is not entirely the same as when you see it in person. There’s a bit of deception going on, but it’s not that serious.
- You need a lot of it to entirely fill up a container.
Out of the five products reviewed, the one to emerge as the best is the Miracle-Gro Potting Mix 8 QT MGRO Potting Mix. This is because it has the nutrients needed by your plant for it to grow properly. It also has excellent water retention and drainage properties, which helps in ensuring that your plants will live a long and healthy life, free of molds, fungi, and pest infestation. If you want the best potting soil for your plants, then this product is what you need to have.