The Best Splitting Maul You Can Get
Doing woodwork is no easy task, as it requires a whole lot of force, energy, and determination. We all know how challenging it is to chop or to split wood. But you don't have to worry about that because there are splitting mauls you can use to make your wood-splitting task easier. In this article, we're going to show you the best splitting maul. For sure, this will help you a ton.
Features To Consider When Choosing One
The very first thing you need to consider is the splitting maul’s durability. It should be durable and strong enough to absorb the pressure of using it on different types of wood. It should be capable of cutting through even the hardest of woods without showing any signs of damage. You want something that will last for a long time.
Then you need to take comfort into consideration. You are going to use a splitting maul to chop down wood. With that thought alone, you can see that you’re going to hold it with your bare hands. And holding it for an extended amount of time isn’t easy! That’s why you should make sure that it is comfortable to hold. Its handles should have an ergonomic design or even possible have padding cushions on it.
You don’t want to work with something that looks ugly. You want something that looks good on you, even if you’re doing woodwork. It’s with this that you are able to feel better about what you’re doing. Most likely, people are going to look at you while chopping down logs. And you don’t want to look like a foolish out-of-style lumberjack. Choose a splitting maul that has an attractive design that is aesthetically pleasing at the same time.
Let’s face it; there is a certain amount of risk in chopping down wood. These splitting mauls have very sharp and strong blades that can cut the heck out of you. And you surely don't want to get those pesky cuts or even chop your hand off! With this, it makes perfect sense for you to make sure that it's safe to use. It's handles shouldn't be slippery, and there should be no sharp surfaces that might get in contact with your hands or arms.
The last but certainly not the least thing you need to consider is the splitting maul's price. It doesn't mean that if it has a high price, it's already made of high-quality materials. There are countless splitting mauls that are affordable priced, yet have similar quality with the more expensive ones.
Why Do You Need To Have A Splitting Maul?
1. Safer Mauling
The number one reason why people buy a splitting maul is to make their wood-chopping work safer. No one wants to accidentally cut off their hand. With the help of a splitting maul, you’re using something that promotes your safety. Remember that these are specifically designed to maul down wood.
2. Improved Productivity
In using a splitting maul, you are also speeding up whatever woodwork you’re doing. It makes you more productive and you are able to split more wood than ever before.
3. Easier Stake Driving
When you split wood, it’s a well known fact that driving your stake through the wood’s inner core is hard to do. But with the help of a splitting maul, you don’t have to worry about that. Using a splitting maul on a log is comparable to how you slice butter effortlessly.
Top 5 Best Splitting Mauls
1. Husqvarna Wooden Splitting Maul
The Husqvarna Wooden Splitting Maul is specifically designed to split various sizes of wood chunks. It also has a poll which is good for driving through split wedges. Its striking face has a neck which is hardened for better force absorption. This makes it usable as either a sledge or a splitting wedge. This splitting maul has its own edge cover made of pure leather, giving it protection if not in use. But what’s really great about this product is that its head is connected to a separate hickory shaft, making it more capable of splitting the hardest of woods.
- It got a sharp blade, making it chop down wood as if it’s slicing through butter.
- It’s lightweight. You won’t have any problem using it for an extended amount of time.
- This can easily cut through big chunks of woods.
- Its size is a bit off, giving you a slightly awkward feel when using it.
- It has a poor finish. You’ll have the impression that this splitting maul won’t look good when you’ve used it for some time.
2. Collins 8LB Splitting Maul
The Collins 8LB Splitting Maul is one of the best-looking products in this list because of its luminous yellow-color design. Its head weighs 8 pounds as it is made of pure forged steel. This gives it an edge over other splitting mauls as pure steel is more capable of cutting through even the thickest of woods. Its handle length measures 36 inches which is a decent measurement if you want something that is a bit handy but can pack a strong punch with its leverage. The handle is made of fiberglass material.
- It’s a strong splitting maul. It can pretty much take up any kind of wood.
- It’s easy to use because it’s comfortable on your hands, thanks to the fiberglass material its handle is made of. Its hands has great traction.
- The price for this one is a bit too high. Probably it’s because of its design and materials.
- Though the design looks great, it can easily catch a lot of dirt because of its bright colored design.
3. Estwing "Fireside Friend" Wood Splitting Axe/Maul
Then there’s the Estwing "Fireside Friend" Wood Splitting Axe/Maul. This is another good looking multipurpose wood tool as it can either be considered as an axe or a maul. It’s made of fine American steel. Its cutting edge is manually sharpened and its handle even features a shock reduction grip. This reduces impact vibration by up to 70%. It’s also made of ballistic nylon sheath that’ll surely support whatever woodwork endeavor you’re on.
- This is the perfect tool if you’re into camping. It busts up wood for camp fire perfectly.
- It’s a lightweight splitting maul.
- A sheath is included.
- You’ll see a few pockmarks on the hammer head’s metal.
- It isn’t that capable of chopping through large-sized logs.
4. Wilton Tools B.A.S.H Splitting Maul
The Wilton Tools B.A.S.H Splitting Maul is probably one of the best splitting mauls you can get. Its got steel rods located on its handle that increase the force with every hit you do. The metal head is forged from Hi-Viz, making it as durable as hell. Its neck has anti-vibe that helps reduce impact vibration. And for your comfort, the handle features a vulcanized rubber non-slip material.
- The handling for this splitting maul is great.
- It is decently light even if it’s sturdy and very solid.
- It has great aesthetic appeal.
- This splitting maul can easily cop down any kind of wood in a very comfortable and safe way.
- The head can get dull if you constantly expose this to heat and water.
- The weight is a bit awkwardly spread, but you’ll get used to it.
5. Fiskars Iso Core Maul
Here’s another highly recommended product – the Fiskars Iso Core Maul. This is specifically designed to make wood splitting and wedge driving easier. It features a proprietary Iso Core Shock system that absorbs impact vibration, making you comfortable in using it. It also has insulation sleeves that absorb the remaining impact, reducing the amount of stress that reaches your hands. What’s great about this is it includes a full-time warranty, giving you the assurance that it’ll last a long time.
- It’s pretty good in packing a punch on wood.
- Wood splitting is made easier thanks to the effortless motion you do in using it.
- It’s sturdy and also comfortable to use.
- The design is a bit off as its geometry is weird-looking.
- The price is also a turn down because there are other splitting mauls that are priced lower with similar features as this one.
The best splitting maul out of the five reviewed products is the Wilton Tools B.A.S.H Splitting Maul. First of all, it looks great. And despite that aesthetic appeal, it’s still fully functional thanks to the advanced impact absorption and safety features it has. It’s comfortable to hold and is pretty sturdy. If you want to make wood splitting easier for you, then the best thing to do is to get this splitting maul. You’ll enjoy your outdoor activities better when you’ve got this by your side.