It is important to know that when it comes to taking care of your garden or lawn, water is not the only factor that ensures its health. There are a lot of other things you also need to consider, and one of those are fertilizers. Here, we’re going to help you choose the best lawn fertilizers that’ll surely make your lawn bloom.
Why Do You Need To Use Lawn Fertilizers?
1. Thick Grass
One of the best things about using lawn fertilizers is that they help your lawn’s grass be thicker. This is due to the many vitamins and minerals present inside the fertilizer. In making your lawn’s grass thicker, you’re also making sure that it will be stronger and more durable.
2. Mud Prevention
Another cool thing about using lawn fertilizers is that it makes your lawn not too muddy. This happens because fertilizers firm up the composition and texture of the soil. Fertilizers are very good when it comes to removing any excess moisture.
3. Avoids Pests
One of the best reasons why professional gardeners use lawn fertilizers is because these are very effective in driving away pests. Synthetic fertilizers don't only enrich the soil and plants, but also drive away pests because of its chemical components are now available in the market.
4. Avoids Mold Growth
Mold growth is another common reason that plagues lawns. This is the usual case in places which have a cold and rainy climate. Mold thrives in places like this. If it happens that you’re living in a place like this, it’s highly recommended you use lawn fertilizers to stop mold infection.
5. Greener Color
Lawn fertilizers bring the best out of your lawn. It sees to it that it is in its best form, which is why your grass doesn’t only grow thicker, but it also gets a greener color. This will surely make your lawn and your house as a whole, more attractive.
The other reason why it's important for you to use fertilizers is that these make your grass more durable and stronger. This means that your lawn is less likely to die out due to drowning or disease infection. These lawn fertilizers also allow heavier foot traffic.
The Different Types Of Fertilizers
1. Time Release Fertilizers
Time release fertilizers are one of the most popular types of fertilizers because you don't have to worry about spraying it again after a certain period. Once you've sprayed or applied them to your plants, they are going to release a new set of substance after a certain time frame, thus saving you time and effort to do all of it again.
2. Granular Fertilizers
Then there are the granular fertilizers that are perfect if your soil always experiences leaching. These fertilizers are very simply to apply. You also don’t have to worry about burning the lawn because its granules are non-hazardous.
3. Liquid or Water Soluble Fertilizers
This liquid and water soluble fertilizers are applied to your plants using a hose or a garden sprayer. If you want to do it fast, then this type of fertilizer is what you're searching for.
Top 5 Best Lawn Fertilizers
1. Scotts Turf Builder Southern Lawn Fertilizer
The Scotts Turf Builder Southern Lawn Fertilizer is a specially formulated fertilizer for Southern state lawns. This is because it is very effective in fighting drought because of its heat tolerance. This is also helpful in improving your lawn’s water and nutrient absorption properties, making it healthier in the process. You also don’t have to wait a couple of hours or even minutes to step on your lawn once you’re done applying it.
- It’s great for use on Bermuda grass, giving it a nice and trim shaped look.
- It’s great in tolerating heat. Your grass won’t easily dry up and die. This is also due to its outstanding water retention properties.
- This fertilizer makes your grass greener.
- It wouldn’t do well when applied on bumpy surfaces because it leads to uneven growth spurts.
- It’s incompatible with some grass.
2. Scotts 21270 Snap System Pack Lawn Fertilizer
Here’s another product from Scotts – the Scotts 21270 Snap System Pack Lawn Fertilizer. This is the fertilizer that can be used on any grass type and on any climate. What this fertilizer does is that it focuses on building deep and strong roots, giving you the assurance that it’ll be strong, durable, and can easily absorb water and nutrients from the soil. It also focuses on making your grass greener. A single 3-pack package can cover an area of 4,000 square feet.
- It’s very good in making your lawn’s grass greener. Your grass will give off a shiny green color.
- This one is very effective in improving the durability and strength of your lawn’s grass. It won’t easily be uprooted.
- The price is the main downside of this product because there are other brands which are cheaper and still have similar features.
- For best results, you need to have Scotts’ own Scotts Pac Spreader.
3. GreenView Fairway Formula Lawn Fertilizer
Then there’s the GreenView Fairway Formula Lawn Fertilizer which is made of premium quality components that enables your lawn’s grass to grow thicker and greener. It can be applied on any kind of grass turf. It doesn’t matter if the grass is newly planted or has been there for years, because you can still apply it regardless of the grass’ age. That’s how versatile this fertilizer is. It also features an immediate release and controlled release capabilities. What this features does is that you can leave your lawn without subsequent fertilization over the next 12 weeks.
- This is the fertilizer you need to have if you are serious in making sure that your grass is very green, because it will.
- It’s effective in making your grass thicker and tougher.
- This fertilizer enables your lawn to grow even grass.
- You need to store the leftover fertilizer in a safe and secure place, because it can easily grow molds or get eaten by rodents.
- The price is also a bit too high for its volume.
4. JR Peters Jacks Prof 77010
The JR Peters Jacks Prof 77010 is a general purpose fertilizer that is what you need if you have a garden center or a lawn. It is specifically made to cater to people who want their gardens and lawns to fully blossom. It not only makes your plants and grass greener, but it also makes it bloom flowers if there are any. This fertilizer contains a balanced mix of phosphorus and potassium that helps in strengthening your plants and grass’ shoots and roots.
- It is an all-purpose fertilizer, which means that this is not only limited to lawn use, but to other garden plants as well.
- It does great in helping flowers bloom.
- This also helps in making plants, especially grass to become greener.
- Its price is a bit of a turn off because it’s too high compared to other brands. But this can be justified because it is an all-purpose fertilizer.
- The packaging is not that strong. You need to transfer it to a stronger container before using it for the first time.
5. Lilly Miller Lawn & Garden Food
The Lilly Miller Lawn & Garden Food is another multipurpose fertilizer that will perfectly do well whether you’re going to use it for your lawn or garden plants. It contains a variety of fast acting ingredient combinations that are specifically designed to aid in the proper growth of plants. This is not only for your lawn, but this can also be used on flowers, trees, shrubs, and even vegetables. Aside from that, it also helps in making the plants have a greener color. And if your plants have flowers, they’re also going to bloom into their best form.
- It’s the best when it comes to grass thickness. This gives your lawn a cleaner and more appealing look.
- It speeds up the growth process of your plants.
- This strengthens your plant’s roots, thereby enabling your lawn to become more tolerant of foot traffic.
- There are times some parts can grow uncontrollably thick.
- There’s a likelihood that weeds can grow.
The best product among the five reviewed lawn fertilizers is the Lilly Miller Lawn & Garden Food. You can use it not just for your lawn, but also for your other plants, vegetables, and even trees. That’s how multipurpose this fertilizer is. Aside from that, it will also make your lawn and garden greener, make them healthier, and will surely make your garden more appealing and thriving with natural beauty. If you want this to happen to your lawn and garden, then the Lilly Miller Lawn & Garden Food is what you need to get.