The Best Hand Pruners For A Better Pruning Experience
Taking care of our garden is no doubt an enjoyable thing to do. It can relieve us of our stress and adds beauty to our home. But for us to do that, we need to have the best hand pruners. In this article, we're going to show you just that.
Things To Consider In Choosing A Hand Pruner
1. Styles Of Hand Pruners
The first thing you need to consider is the style of the hand pruner you want to have. There are three main types of hand pruners available in the market. These are the bypass, anvil, and ratchet garden pruners. Each type has its design, but all have the same functions with each other. It's also in knowing your purpose that lets you decide which style or type is the best for you.
2. Design And Comfort Level Of Handles
The handles of the hand pruner of your choice are important to factor in. You should see to it that it is comfortable to hold and features an ergonomic design. It's through this that you can easily carry on with your pruning activity. You need to make sure that it is comfortable to hold and doesn't strain up your hands. Remember, it usually takes you an hour or so to finish your garden pruning session.
Of course, you need to consider the cost or the price of the hand pruner of your choice. You don’t want to get an overly expensive one, even though it has the same features or quality with a cheaper brand. You also don’t want to get an affordable hand pruner that is most likely to break up soon. With this, you need to balance things out and check whether it has a balance of price and quality.
Types Of Hand Pruners
1. Bypass Hand Pruners
Bypass hand pruners are the most popular type in the market. This is because these do perfectly well in cutting live wood. It doesn’t deal unnecessary or collateral damage on the branch or other stems of the plant or tree that you’re pruning. This is made possible thanks to the scissor-like cutting motion it exhibits. Bypass hand pruners that have longer blades lets you prune branches or stems that are head to reach. However, the smaller ones are better when it comes to precise cutting.
2. Anvil Hand Pruners
But if you were to cut dead wood or any wood which is hard and brittle, anvil hand pruners are what you need. This is because it reduces the chances of the plant splintering. What happens when you cut it through dead wood is that it crushes the bottom portion of the stem. This makes it easier for you to cut these kinds of wood. It’s all about the unique cutting mechanism that makes this useful in cutting brittle and old wood.
3. Double Cut Hand Pruners
These double cut hand pruners are not widely used because of its unorthodox cutting mechanism. What makes these hand pruners different,t is that it has two blades instead of a single one. This makes the pruning process faster for you. However, the precision is sacrificed because you don't have much control as to where the second blade cuts through.
Top 5 Best Hand Pruners
1. Simply Home Basics Traditional Bypass Hand Pruning Shears
The Simply Home Basics Traditional Bypass Hand Pruning Shears is one of the choices of hand pruners you can choose from. This is the hand pruner you need if you're cutting through small stems and branches. It has spring loaded handles which help in making it easier for you to cut through wood. Its blade is made from hardened steel, which assures you that it won't have any problem in cutting through any wood. This can cut through branches and twigs which have a maximum of 5/8 inches in diameter. Its ergonomic handles also provide you a comfortable grip.
- This hand pruner has a lot of useful features which makes it easier for you to prune your plants.
- It’s also comfortable to hold. You don’t have to worry about arthritic pains or hand blisters because you can hold it up for hours pretty well.
- It’s a little bit difficult to latch it using only one hand.
- There are times when the locking mechanism suddenly locks the shears while you’re using it.
2. Fiskars Softouch Micro-Tip Pruning Snip
The Fiskars Softouch Micro-Tip Pruning Snip is also a good choice of a pruner. If you want to do trimming, deadheading, or shaping, then this is what you’re searching for. What makes this hand pruner special is that it is specifically designed for people who have arthritis. This hand pruner is a very easy-to-use pruning tool because of its design. It measures 6 inches in length and entitles you to a lifetime warranty. You have two options when buying this one. You can get the one with the non-coated blades, or the non-stick blades.
- These are very well-made. When you're using it, you'll instantly feel that you're using a special handcraft hand pruner because of the amount of detail present in the tool.
- It’s the perfect tool if you want to deadhead flowers.
- Though it is well-made, it lacks a bit of quality with its spring.
- The spring can easily unload and get broken after a few months.
3. Green Heart Garden Bypass Pruning Shears
The Green Heart Garden Bypass Pruning Shears is also another hand pruner that you might want to get. It features an ergonomically designed handle that makes it easy and comfortable for you to use. Its blades are made from polished carbon steel blades and are coated with corrosion and rust resistant material. It measures 8 inches and does well in cutting and trimming live branches and stems. The body of this hand pruner is even made from forged aluminum, which means that it is lightweight and durable at the same time.
- Its blades are very sharp and can easily cut through live branches and stems. You don't have to double your effort in cutting through wood because it does it pretty well and smoothly.
- It is a multipurpose hand pruner.
- It’s a bit bulky because of its long size.
- You’ll have problems with its safety tab because there are times it doesn’t close easily.
4. Beville Gardens Professional Pruning Shears
The Beville Gardens Professional Pruning Shears is another highly recommended hand pruner. It measures 8 inches and features a bright red color making it easy to find. It features an advanced tension spring that gives it consistent rebound when you're cutting through any wood. You even get a free holster when you get this thing. Its handles are small and are coated with a non-slip coating.
- Using this one makes you feel that it is made of high-quality materials.
- It has an attractive design, which makes it easy for you to see.
- It would do much better if its blade was sharper.
- It’s a bit difficult to close it in using only one hand.
5. Gonicc 8" Professional SK-5 Steel Blade Bypass Pruning Shears
The Gonicc 8" Professional SK-5 Steel Blade Bypass Pruning Shears is one of the best hand pruners in the market because it features a high-quality blade that is made from high carbon SK-5 steel. It is even coated with PTFE to ensure that it will last a long time. This also protects the blade from corrosion and rust, making this the ultimate hand pruner for the outdoors. This features a cushion and shock absorber that ensures your comfort when you're using it. It's lightweight, does a pretty good job of cutting through any wood, and looks nice.
- This is a lightweight hand pruner. You won’t have any problem in carrying it for long periods of time.
- It’s also very easy to clean thanks to the coating present on its surface. What’s best about it is that it doesn’t rust at all. You don’t have to worry about it getting wet or being exposed to the sun for a long time.
- It is made from high-quality materials. It feels sturdy and durable.
- It’s very easy to use. You don’t need to do learn pruning techniques because you’re most likely to figure it out yourself with the use of this hand pruner.
- This hand pruner is a little bit expensive.
- There’s a likelihood that the spring might break and pop out.
The best product to emerge out of the five reviewed hand pruners is the Gonicc 8" Professional SK-5 Steel Blade Bypass Pruning Shears. It is lightweight, easy to use, can do an excellent job in cutting any wood, and is aesthetically pleasing. If you want to make the most out of your pruning session, then this hand pruner is what you need to have.
- The Best Electric Pole Saw To Easily Cut Trees
- Knowing The Best Wheelbarrows For Easy Load Carrying
- How To Prune A Lime Tree For Healthy Production
Copyright Shannon R.Sanchez, Garden blog: https://cocacrop.com. All rights reserved..